Monday, March 31, 2014

Naturally Supporting a Healthy Hypothyroid {hypothyroidism/hashimotos}





Hypothyroidism has plagued me for many years. 
I was borderline before I was pregnant with my 1st baby. 
After he was born my thyroid went crazy!

This is the WebMD explanation  of what Hypothyroid is…..

Hypothyroidism means your thyroid is not making enough thyroid hormone. The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck. It makes hormones that control the way your body uses energy.
Having a low level of thyroid hormone affects your whole body. It can make you feel tired and weak. If hypothyroidism is not treated, it can raise your cholesterol levels. During pregnancy, untreated hypothyroidism can harm your baby. But hypothyroidism can be treated with medicine that can help you feel like yourself again.
People of any age can get hypothyroidism, but older adults are more likely to get it. Women age 60 and older have the highest risk. You are more likely to get the disease if it runs in your family.
In the United States, the most common cause is Hashimoto's thyroiditis {this is what I have!). It causes the body's immune system to attack thyroid tissue. As a result, the gland can't make enough thyroid hormone.

Signs you may have HYPOTHYROIDISM!
I have every single one of these symptom at some point in the last 13 years.

Muscle and Joint Pains, Carpal Tunnel/Tendonitis Problems - Aches and pains in your muscles and joints, weakness in the arms and a tendency to develop carpal tunnel in the arms/hands, tarsal tunnel in the legs, and plantar fasciitis in the feet can all be symptoms of undiagnosed thyroid problems. 
*my carpal tunnel/tingling was so bad that I had to wear roller blading wrist/hand guards to keep my wrist/hands supported…it was horrible.
Neck Discomfort/Enlargement - A feeling of swelling in the neck, discomfort with turtlenecks or neckties, a hoarse voice or a visibly enlarged thyroid can all be signs of a "goiter" -- an enlarged thyroid gland that is a symptom of thyroid disease. 
*I had a goiter on each side of my thyroid glands, now 1 is gone and the other is stable and has not grown in size in 2 years.
Hair/Skin Changes - Hair and skin are particularly vulnerable to thyroid conditions, and in particular, hair loss is frequently associated with thyroid issues.  With hypothyroidism, hair frequently becomes brittle, coarse and dry, while breaking off and falling out easily. Skin can become coarse, thick, dry,and scaly. There is often an unusual loss of hair in the outer edge of the eyebrow. 
*on top of the fact that my hair was already naturally thin, I began going bald! talk about depressing!
Bowel Problems - Severe or long-term constipation or gas pain is frequently associated with hypothyroidism.
*I had no idea that I was constipated because I had the issue all my life, as far back as I can remember.
Menstrual Irregularities and Fertility Problems - Heavier, more frequent and more painful periods are frequently associated with hypothyroidism. Infertility can also be associated with undiagnosed thyroid conditions.
*My current Doctor is amazed I gave birth to two children without major deformities since my thyroid was such a mess.
Family History - If you have a family history of thyroid problems, you are at a higher risk of having a thyroid condition yourself. You may not always be aware of thyroid problems in your family, though, because among older people, it is often referred to as "gland trouble" or "goiter." So pay attention to any discussions of glandular conditions or goiter or weight gain due to "a glandular problem," as these may be indirect ways of referring to thyroid conditions.
*My mother, her mother and  several other maternal female in the family suffered from thyroid issues, many requiring the removal or radiation therapy to treat the disease.
Cholesterol Issues - High cholesterol, especially when it is not responsive to diet, exercise or cholesterol-lowering medication, can be a sign of undiagnosed hypothyroidism. 
*This is the only one that has never been brought to buy attention from previous doctors, so I am not sure if I ever had issue with cholesterol.
Depression and Anxiety - Depression or anxiety - including sudden onset of panic disorder - can be symptoms of thyroid disease. Hypothyroidism is most typically associated with depression, while hyperthyroidism is more commonly associated with anxiety or panic attacks. 
*Obesity, childbirth, sleepless night, new mom were the reasons I was given by Doctors as to the way I was feeling!? 
Weight Changes - You may be on a low-fat, low-calorie diet with a rigorous exercise program, but are failing to lose weight. Or you may have joined a diet program or support group, and you are the only one who isn't losing any weight. Difficulty losing weight can be a sign of hypothyroidism. You may be losing weight while eating the same amount of food as usual - or even losing while eating more than normal. Unexplained weight changes and issues can be signs of both hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. 
*2hrs at the gym, eating as healthy as I knew to eat, often going hungry and never lost anything, gained very easily. At one point I was considered morbidly obese!
Fatigue - Feeling exhausted when you wake up, feeling as if 8 or 10 hours of sleep a night is insufficient or being unable to function all day without a nap can all be signs of thyroid problems. 
*Again I was told it was just lifestyle, new baby, weight gain and I was even told laziness by one (not so wonderful) Doctor!
Now Im sure your asking why would taking supplements help my thyroid, my DR prescribes me thyroid meds, isn't that enough?
The short answer is NO! 
The long answer is "for some people it may be", however for myself and everyone else I have ever met with this auto immune disease it is not.
*There are a few rules in this life, one is that if you want a different outcome, you must make a change, maybe this is the change you need, I am a new person since starting this new lifestyle which includes supplements.
I had been on high doses of Synthroid, them moved to the more "natural" version of it called Armour Thyroid. According to my labs, my thyroid was in normal range. I felt like crap! my skin, hair & nails were a mess, I was struggling with my weight, joint stiffness, always tired & irritable and the list goes on.
I learned about an alternative to both of these synthetic versions of the thyroid hormone from DR. Brouse who explained to me that even the more "natural" version was contaminated since the animals the hormone is taken from are pumped full of hormones and consume diets high in corn, gluten and GMO's. I know take a supplement called thyroid 130 which is imported from Denmark. WOW! what a difference it has made.

**UPDATE...I no longer require the thyroid hormone supplement! 
The regimen worked great! Goiters gone and no more meds :-) 
It wasn't until I did a 180 turnaround that I began to feel good and lose weight. What I did not know was that since the 180 products were the bulk of my daily diet, I was unknowingly NOT consuming gluten! This is because the product are gluten free. The program also has many recipe suggestions for meals that I prepared, which war also gluten free.
Another issue that Dr. Brouse found through testing is that I am gluten intolerant (not celiac, but sensitive). This means I could not digest it properly & it was damaging my entire digestive tract which was spinning my thyroid out of control. He also recommended limiting animal fats, which worked great since the 180 products are plant based sources of protein (yeah!).
Now I just do not eat gluten, ever! 
As far as my supplementation, there are a few Shaklee products which were also recommended by Dr. Brouse to help naturally heal my thyroid and support healthy thyroid function. I started feeling better with in just a few weeks combining both the diet, thyroid supplement & the Shaklee supplements. Here are the Shaklee supplements Dr. Brouse recommended to me & I take daily!
{this is perfect for both men & women of any age}

If you need more suggestions on how to implement a gluten free diet or suggestion on how to start natural supplementation, please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day,













11 comments:

  1. what is the brand of the thyroid 130 you are taking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 130 is the brand:
      UPDATE...I no longer require the thyroid hormone supplement! The regimen worked great! Goiters gone and no more meds :-)

      Delete
    2. question- do you use the non- soy shake mix? I have been reading soy is not good for hashimotis (leads to hypo)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post Shaklee sister! I have a potential client with hashimotos and I've been doing research on it for her. This is the best post I've found! I am so glad that Shaklee has helped you so Much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A proven scientific research & natural home remedy that eliminates your thyroid problem at the source.. Over 135,000 people Reversed their thyroid issue from home. Not only for impressive words, see how & read experienced people’s feedback here..

      http://www.southseller.com/hypothyroidism-cure

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post Shaklee sister! I have a potential client with hashimotos and I've been doing research on it for her. This is the best post I've found! I am so glad that Shaklee has helped you so Much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your story!!! You so exactly like me!! I was on synthriod and switched docs because my endo wouldn't listen to me when I explained how exhausted I was. He was only concerned with the TSH level which were "perfect". I was put on armour thyroid by my new doc and my energy level is awesome but my weight has gone up...despite EVERYTHING!! I am an avid health nut and despite drastic dietary changes and excessive exercise nothing has helped! I am going to talk with my doc about the Thyroid 130 and was planning on trying the Shaklee Life package but now am wondering if I shouldn't try the 180 turnaround plus the life vitamins.. Thoughts??

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’re Eating All the Wrong Foods (You Just Don’t Know It). You MUST remove the thyroid suppressive foods in your diet and instead focus on the right foods that stimulate your thyroid to produce an abundant amount of thyroid hormone to keep your cells happy and healthy. >>> then this video is for you >>> http://Lc.cx/46ga
    Eating foods full of thyroid suppressive toxins is like throwing fuel on the fire. It will only continue to drain you of more energy, make your symptoms worse, promote even more inflammation, and further damage your thyroid.
    But there’s a major disconnect between what YOU believe to be healthy foods and what research tells us is healthy. In fact, many of the health foods today that people go out of their way to eat daily are extremely thyroid suppressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want more and more articles and blogs please post soon such informative information.evergreen supplements

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates. supplements for low thyroid

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am see the great contents and step by step read really nice information.I am gather this concepts and more information. It's helpful for me my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Thyroid Health

    ReplyDelete