Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Hearty Turkey Chili


With our very first SNOW day finally here this school year, we made this just in time!
A hot hearty chili is perfect when the kiddos come in from playing int the snow for lunch.
We are crossing our fingers for the white fluffy stuff not the icy wet cold crap!

We hope you enjoy this super easy, delicious, nutritious meal.

Ingredients:
3LBS ground turkey (chicken, beef or bison)
1C chopped onion
1C bell peppers (green, red, any color!)
1C each Zucchini & yellow squash
1TBSP olive oil
Green chiles (We use the TJ 4oz can)
Beans
{Add as many beans as you desire here's what we used: red kidney, white kidney, great northern, black}
2C diced tomatoes or use 14oz canned version
Taco seasoning to taste (or make your own)
1TBSP Garlic powder (we love garlic!)
1 can corn
2 diced jalapeƱos w/seeds 
(do not cook before adding to crockpot, it will taste better, the veggies & meat will absorb the flavor better)
Directions:
In a frying pan cook veggies in oil until soft.
Remove from pan & place in crock pot (turn crockpot to high)
Brown the turkey in that same frying pan.
While meat is cooking, add all the beans, tomatoes & chiles. 
(Save corn for later if like your corn crisp)
Add cooked ground meat to crockpot.
Mix in taco seasoning & garlic
Add in jalapeƱos, seeds & all!
•tip - if you like things HOT, add crushed red pepper too!
Set crockpot to high for 1hr.
Add corn and set heat to low & cook for 6-8 hours.
Honestly once I have added the corn, I forget about it until it's dinner time, it could be 8hrs. 
The longer it cooks the better it tastes

We can't forget about cornbread!!
Since I am doing a healthy 180 turnaround, I only have a small amount so that I stay within my daily calorie intake to keep shedding these inches :-)

I can make a mean homemade cornbread, but I was going for quick. We don't typically buy pre made, processed food, however I could not pass up the Trader Joe's brand of cornbread (we were there and in the mood for chili, so we gave in! lol)
I calculated that if I have a piece it will cost me 85 calories. I can live with that!


Try this easy recipe this winter and let me know what you think.

Have a great day,




3 comments:

  1. Yum! I love chili, it is one of my favorite soul warming foods when the weather gets chilly. Great turkey version. Can't wait to co-host with you on Mom's Monday Mingle. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chili is the best! I love that you use turkey because I rarely ever eat beef. Thanks so much for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing with Adorned From Above’s Link Party. We love having your join the fun.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete