Saturday, November 16, 2013

Salted Caramel Apple Crisp



I love a Caramel Apple at a Carnival!
This is like a caramel apple in a bowl.

I adapted this swap out from a recipe  Lauren over at Lauren's Latest developed. {Thanks Lauren}
Her recipe looks super delicious, however some of us are sugar and gluten intolerant or just want to limit these ingredients. 
So, to make my mouth {and body} happy I came up with this twist!

Prepping The Apples
3-5 apples (Macintosh, Gala or Granny Smith will work great,honey crisp are my fav!) 
Cinnamon (lots of it)
1/2 CUP Orange or Apple juice

Directions
1. Either peel apples or keep the peel on (we just leave the peel on-easier & healthier!) & slice them
2. Toss in Cinnamon
3. Cook in Iron Skillet 
(if you don't have one, RUN don't walk to get one. They are super sturdy, versatile and healthy to cook with! I believe target sells them!)
4. Add juice & cook until soft, add topping!


Topping
1 CUP Rolled Oats (we love extra crisp topping!)
1/2 Cup Almond Flour (can buy this at most grocery stores-we make our own in the vitamix)
1/4 CUP (4 TBSP) Butter (room temp)
Cinnamon
TIP: Add crushed pecans or raising for texture
Directions
1. Toss ingredients together by hand or in mixer 
(I used the Kitchen Aid Mixer, but hands work just as good!)
*If it seems dry, don't worry the next step will take care of that.

Caramel {Sugar FREE}
Ingredients:
1 TBSP Butter (yes we use REAL butter)
3/4 CUP Agave or Honey
1/4 CUP Heavy Whipping Cream
1 TSP vanilla
Salt to taste

Directions
1. Heat Butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it melts
2.Add Agave or Honey to saucepan.
3. Stir in heavy whipping cream, season with salt
4. Cook the caramel mixture for about 10 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring continuously. 

TIP: Be sure to cook until it becomes golden brown. 
*If you want it thicker {to make caramel candies}, heat until dark brown. 

Pour Caramel over the apples (reserve about 1/4 of the caramel for after baking-it may need to be reheated after it cools)
Bake in oven (right in the iron skillet-see versatile)
Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
Drizzle with remaining caramel when served!

Thanks for stopping by, 






2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I think my taste buds are going to die if I don't make this today!! It's going to be the perfect monday night dessert! Thanks for sharing it on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! It looks amazing! And I love that it's gluten free so my son can enjoy it :-) Thanks for sharing the recipe and linking up to What'd You Do This Weekend. Pinning this one now!

    ReplyDelete