Thursday, October 10, 2013

Italian Seasoning "Frugal"



Not that pre-made italian seasoning is going to bread the bank, but still a few bucks here and there can add up. 
This is more cost effective and is super easy to do. 
I have made this using store bought dried versions and I have also grown some of these myself, hung them to dry and used them. 
Honestly the flavor is not much different. 
However when it comes to fresh versus dried, there is always a difference FRESH WINS EVERY TIME!
We are not comparing this right now. 
We want this to be dried so that we can add to recipes, top on pizza or use in making salad dressings during the long winter months (or when we are just being lazy!)
If  you want to know the in & out of drying herbs and processing them, take a look at Betty in this VIDEO
I will make my own video one day!! hehe

Here is the recipe (Super Easy!)

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons dried basil
3 tablespoons dried oregano

3 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes


Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a spice grinder or put in a small bowl and crush with the back of a spoon. 
I use a mortar & pestle. 
Store herbs in an airtight jar for up to 6 months.
*here it is to the left (I purchased this one from Ikea years ago!)

If you don't have one of these, I must tell you I use this often. 
I use it to make our NATURAL COLD REMEDY, for the herbs and even for grinding flax seeds.

What ways to do use herbs?

Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment