Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cabbage Lasagna



I recently posted on Facebook a picture of my crock pot cabbage lasagna and was requested to share the recipe. 
I truly enjoy sharing my "sometimes wacky" creations with others and love to try new recipes. 
It can get boring eating the same thing over and over again. 

Variety is the recipe of life, RIGHT?

I prepped this at about 5:30am one morning. YES, I know that is early, I'm an early bird.

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground meat (I used ground turkey)
Chopped Onion & Bell Peppers 
1-2 chopped garlic cloves (or minced garlic)
Italian seasonings (see how to easily make your own HERE)
Ricotta Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese
4 Eggs (beaten)
1 Large Cabbage (sliced thin)
1 can Marinara sauce 
(I used Trader Joe's brand, but you can use your own or a homemade version!)

Directions:
Brown the ground meat
Add onion, peppers, italian seasoning & garlic
In a bowl mix the ricotta, half of the mozzarella cheese & the eggs

Start layering in the crockpot!

Start with a small amount of the marinara sauce (enough to over the bottom).
Next is the browned meat/veggie combo.
Then top with cabbage.
Finally that yummy cheese concoction.

Repeat this until you only have a small amount of sauce remaining. Use that to top off the lasagna.
Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top and allow to keep cooking until you are ready to eat (maybe another 6 hours).

I find this is great for those busy days as you head out of the house in the morning and can return later in the day to a yummy smelling house and dinner ready to eat.

Tip: Add more veggies by including cauliflower, kale or spinach to your layers 

This would be great to pair with some garlic bread. I toasted some flat bread we had in the freezer and used the GARLIC BUTTER we made a few days ago, that turned out awesome!


What crockpot creations do you have to share?


Thanks for stopping by!







4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I was thinking of using more cabbage as a substitute for pasta to cut back on the carbs. have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this recipe! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete