Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Laundry Closet Make-over!


DISCLAIMER: the pictures in this post are not the best, in fact they are prompting me to upgrade to a "real" camera...very,very soon!

Am I the only one who had a laundry closet that looked like this? ALWAYS???

It drove me crazy! 
So I did what any "in" sane person would do, I demolished it! 
Okay, really I started the project then begged my hubby to "help"
Which thankfully he did, willingly. 
I guess it bothered him too.

I hated those wire type shelves, everything would tilt, spill or fall through. 
We decided on a pre-fab cabinet that just needed to be hung. Simple, right?
Hmm, that thing was heavy! 
Then we tried a cheaper version of open shelves (on the left) and it was way to flimsy, it had to go.
We decided on a crisp, clean but warm shade of blue, "BLUE SKYLIGHT" by VALSPAR.

As we pondered what type of open shelves to install, 
the new fancy-smancy washer & dryer were delivered.

Everyone was super excited to watch the laundry go round, 
and round, and round....you get the point.
We had declined those cool storage towers that go below the washer/dryer mainly because we figured a countertop where we could fold laundry would be more beneficial.

After much consideration (and lack of time), 
I gave my buddy, handy man extraordinaire a call, JEFF.....HELP!!!
He installed custom open shelves, another smaller cabinet below the one we installed and even designed a custom counter top. This countertop is so pretty! 
Jeff designed it on hinges for easy access to the appliances. 
He also made sure to include an access door to the hot/cold water spouts.


Then my creative, super intelligent (and ultra sexy....just incase the hubby reads this) husband, suggested build in shelving on the doors. 
"JEFF"...HELP???
Which he did once again. We really appreciate Jeff :-)
Jeff matched it to the counter top he built.

He installed hooks to hang things from such as the duster and one of those long reach grabby things (works great for replacing recessed lights)
Here is a close up of what I have on the shelves on the left side of the closet doors.
So neat & CLEAN!


Here is the right side of the closet. This side could only accommodate 1 shelf as I really wanted a place to hang my broom. The only problem is that my mop had to of into another closet, it was to bulky. It is one of those refillable libman mops that the cloth head can be washed and replaced. It has been great, very economical. Especially since I can fill it with the ultra frugal Basic H or for those nasty germs Basic G.

This is the mop we use! 

This is a view of the inside left. We really needed a place to hang items to dry such as items to by ironed or those hockey jerseys that cost more than 1 month of my car payment...sorry that was a little bit of grunting.

Did I mention that Jeff installed a light and switch? We seriously needed more light in there. He also installed closet doors. Before we had those bi-folding doors that seemed to jump off the the track all the time.
Now this so clean & functional, I love it.
Now to get Jeff to redo the rest of the house???? 



I wanted to hang something inspirational..what better to see & read when getting ready to tackle dirty laundry?

"Today is Going To Be A Great Day!"




What is the best feature of your laundry area? 
Do you have a full room dedicated to laundry?
Do you have a small laundry space?

Have a great day!


34 comments:

  1. Those are some gorgeous machines, Stacey! SO nice! Our laundry "room" looks similar to your before photos and now I'm inspired to tackle it and make it pretty. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much more functional now. I love that it is "pretty", but really I needed function, we wash a lot of laundry in this house..LOL!

      Delete
  2. Love the new front loader washer and dryer. I'm still rocking out the white dinosaurs in my laundry room.
    Your after looks really nice and put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my dryer hadn't sounded like I was drying a body (thump, thud, thump) I would have kept my old washer/dryer, but it was time to upgrade.

      Delete
  3. Nice! So much better! I am lusting over your washer and dryer! I think (ALL) my appliances are actually original to my home, which was built 20 years ago. Every single one of them sounds like a jet engine taking off when you start the cycle. Annoying. But yours are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mine sounded like I was drying a body!!! so loud.

      Delete
  4. This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-link-up-26/
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I linked up and I will see you next link too!

      Delete
  5. Great makeover - you guys did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the brain, JEFF was the muscle in this.

      Delete
  6. This looks great! Mine is on my to-do list but it is such a big project! Found you at Artsy Corner Link Up. I hope you will stop by Friday Follow Along at www.leahinspired.com tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your laundry closet looks amazing! Thanks so much for linking up at All Our Days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm working on a mudroom makeover and I am going to incorporate some of your ideas. I love the back of the door storage, we have wasted space in the water heater area and that blue color is lovely. I also love the sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house is not huge, but we try to maximize every inch.

      Delete
  9. That turned out awesome. Doesn't it feel great when you get things reorganized.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks amazing!!! Love the wall color and your counter-top!! So fancy!
    I also just started re doing our laundry room and I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please be sure to share your make over! function was key wit hem in my busy house, but I am always open to more ideas especially if it makes things look pretty too.

      Delete
  11. Stacey you rocked this makeover! love it thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I featured your makeover at Katherines Corner today

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks great! I love the counter overtop the washer and dryer for folding (and stacking, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! I need to do this to my laundry room. Great makeover!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share once you complete your make over

      Delete
  15. Amazing Makeover! Looks like it's straight from a magazine. Thanks for linking it up at Think Tank Thursday. I featured you today. http://www.saving4six.com/2013/07/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-41.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Friday! My Friday Flash Blog linky party is live @ The Jenny Evolution – a flash mob of blogs where you share your favorite posts of the week. Hope to see you there -- you may just get highlighted next week!

    Jennifer
    thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is SO impressive! Love the blue color in the back. Great job! Thanks for linking up to the B&A party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am totally envying your beautiful laundry closet over here! Gorgeous, gorgeous job! And when you're done with Jeff, can you send him over here? I have a loooonnnng list of projects he could tackle! ;) Thank you so much for linking up at "Get Your DIY On"! I hope to see you Sunday with your fall wreath! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.
    Chaffey Cleaners

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming!
    shirt laundry in Rancho Cucamonga available at Chaffey Cleaners

    ReplyDelete