Thursday, February 21, 2013

PB Fudge, really?

{Swap it Out}
Peanut Butter Cup
160 calories/9g fat/1g protein
(I think know we can do better than this?)

Peanut Butter Fudge, "really" you ask? Yes!
A healthy alternative to "candy". One of my favorite candies is  was PB cups...oh yum!

Ingredients:
1 cup PB (no sugar added brand) 
*I make my own PB using my vitamix blender
*I have used both the 180 smoothee powder( choco & vanilla) and also the energizing protein (unflavored, choco or vanilla)
1/2 cup honey or 1/3 cup agave 

Directions:
Mix together with hands or use a dough mixer
*I use the kitchen Aid mixer
place onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with another piece of parchment paper and flatten or use a rolling pin. Sometimes at the beginning I use my hand to flatten out the mixture then use the rolling pin. The parchment paper helps from it sticking to your hands or rolling pin. I leave it covered with the parchment and place in fridge to harden. I then cut squares and leave in fridge until eaten.


Add in options:

Walnuts (chopped) I buy whole raw and have my kids beat them up in a bag with a hammer 
{yes they think it is great!}

Choco chip (mini gluten/dairy free) mini type work best!
{I am still on the hunt for unsweetened mini dark chocolate chips.}

Brown rice cereal 
(I use the Erewhorn brand for added texture and crunch!)


Admittedly {sigh} calculating the calories/fat/protein content was not very simple. 
This is how I attempted to make the calculations:
~Add up the total calories used for each ingredient
~Then divide that number by the number of pb fudge squares I made from the batch.
Sounds simple right? Well, the problem is that I had to estimate the number I got from the batch since my hubby & kids ate about half the batch before I could do the calculation...Ha!

So in the end, if my calculations are correct these yummy Peanut Butter Fudge squares are about....drum roll please....
Calories: 25 vs 160
Fat: 1.5 vs 9
Protein: 2 vs 1

*PB fudge wins all day!!!

What have you swapped out lately?
Anything you would like to swap out?

Have a great day,
Stacey




7 comments:

  1. This looks great. I just found the brand of chocolate chips you recommend. I also love the taste of Reeses, and this looks like it would satisfy without the guilt. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you add organic brown rice cereal (aka "healthy"rice crispies) it changes the texture to be more like a candy bar! Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Pretty impressive looks tasty and a great calorie count. Thanks for sharing your fudge with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calories count can be adjusted depending on what is added in, nuts, more/less chocolate chips etc...
      I am not very good at calorie counting to be honest, I just try my best to eat as much healthy, fresh whole food as I can! It seems to be working, weight loss os over 100lbs and counting!

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm, sounds like a great swap! I might give this a go after I figure out the weight watchers points on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wondering if you found the calorie count for WW? I am enjoying my turnaround with the Shaklee 180, however I know some folks that are doing weight watchers too!

      Delete
  4. I've never made fudge before, but I certainly will have to give it a shot. Anything with peanut butter catches my fancy!
    Morgaine @ Madcap Frenzy
    P.S. I would love if you would link up any of your awesome posts at my July Totally Tuesday Link Party: http://madcapfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/07/july-totally-tuesday-link-party.html
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete